The first settlement on the present site of Marshall, Minnesota, was in June 1869, by W. H. Langdon,
C. H. Whitney and C. H. Upton. Their homes were sod structures.
February 17, 1876;
The village of Marshall was platted in August 1872 when the Winona &St. Peter Railroad was located through Lake Marshall Township. The Act of Incorporation for the Town of Marshall was approved on February 17, 1876
March 9, 1875;
The first record we could find regarding the Lake Marshall Township was from an entry on in the township
record book, which is kept at the Lyon County Museum in Marshall, Minnesota.
March 14, 1876;
In the minutes of this meeting, a vote was taken that the, “Board of Supervisors, select and purchase grounds for a cemetery not over 20 acres nor less than 10”. (Page 15 of the township record book)
August 12, 1876;
A special meeting was held and a motion was made to authorize the board of supervisors to select and
buy, “A spot of ground to contain not less than 20 nor more than 40 acres”, for cemetery land.
Note; This was a change in the amount of land to purchase from the first authorization of March 14, 1886
(Page 18 of the township record book)
May 26, 1877;
The township clerk was instructed to issue five bonds in the amount of $80.00 each at 12% annual interest
and to be known as the town cemetery bonds.
(Page 27 of the township record book)
March 31, 1887;
The location for the Cemetery was approved.
(Page 26 of the township record book)
March 12, 1879;
The board of supervisors was instructed to establish a list of prices for lots in the town cemetery. They
were also authorized to appoint a suitable person at a fair and equitable compensation to superintend
(Page 42 of the township record book)
June 5, 1880;
At a township meeting on, block 4 was to be set aside as a Potter’s field.
(Page 59 of the township record book)
June 5, 1880;
The township board vote to pay $42.02 for cemetery fence (This fence still exists along the east line.)
March 17, 1883;
At the regular meeting of the Lake Marshall township Supervisor
Charles Richardson was verbally instructed to attend to the sale of cemetery lots for 50 cents each.
It was also noted Town Clerk, C. H. Whitney would fill out the deeds for those lots at a fee of 35 cents for each lot.
(Page 104 of the township record book)
March 20, 1885;
It was decided to purchase 250 forest trees to set in and about the cemetery.
(Page 133 of the township record book)